Sunday, July 19, 2015

Guest post - The Discipline of Creativity #KidsDeserveIt

We really wanted to allow several voices on our blog to help challenge, encourage, and instigate conversation.  Our first guest blogger is Erik Wahl.  Erik is a graffiti artist and best selling author from California.  We met Erik when he keynoted the NAESP conference last month.  Erik was the driving force behind us starting Kids Deserve It, and when looking at guest bloggers we threw out the idea of asking Erik.  Well, Erik said yes!!!  And Erik actually wrote us THREE blog posts that we’ll be sharing over the next few weeks. Here’s the first!



Remember to connect with Erik on Twitter, Facebook, his Website or on Amazon where you can buy his bestselling book!

In my book UNthink, I researched and wrote about framework of innovation and how to unlock our mind to unleash our natural creative genius. A good portion of the book was strategically focused on how to tackle the process of dreaming up a new idea. I have shared far less about the lonely work I do to bring ideas into action. - Innovation into actionable substance. - My personal dogged approach to grinding through resistance to discover unchartered territory.

I have found some of my greatest creative breakthroughs occur when…… (are you ready for this)…… I am laser focused and militaristically disciplined.

The paradox of creativity is that structure creates freedom. I am a naturally creative spirit who has built my business with extreme orderliness and attention to detail. The strength of this structure gives me greater confidence and freedom to create.

In studying the masters;
- Beethoven sat down everyday at daybreak, regardless of season, and composed until 3:00pm.
- Kafka started writing at 11:30pm each night.
- Mozart taught lessons by day and composed only in the evenings.
- Picasso ate lunch each day with his family in silence and only allowed visitors one day per week.
- Mark Twain awoke at 5:30 am, ate a hearty breakfast, and wrote until 5:00 pm.

When fanatical discipline is combined with empirical creativity, the challenges of mental fatigue and mind-blocks are no match in the pursuit of excellence.

The only things these individuals have in common is the rigidity of their daily routines, carving out the pockets of quietude to listen to their inner creative voice.

Until you and I build up the capacity to focus like the masters, let us begin by adhering to the cheeky mindset of Peter De Vries…..“I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning.”

As parents and teachers,  I think it is imperative to apply the same principals of disciplined structure to keep creativity alive in the classroom. Dream. Create. Inspire. Execute. Creativity with out actionable substance is like river without banks.     

Below are two more amazing videos from Erik!
Erik Wahl sizzle reel!

And don’t forget to share your stories.  Use the hashtag #KidsDeserveIt to share how you’re connecting, and inspiring others with creative ideas! You can also follow @KidsDeserveIt to continue connecting with us and subscribe to our Remind class with this link!  You can also connect with us on Voxer!  Our voxer handles are techninjatodd and awelcome

No comments:

Post a Comment